The Makeup Artist Who Doesn't Wear Makeup


Yep, you read that correctly. I'm a fully qualified makeup artist who doesn't wear makeup.  

Okay that may be a slight exaggeration - I do wear makeup on occasion, but its very rare.

 It hasn't always been this way, I used to spend an hour in the morning applying a full face of makeup no matter the occasion. There was a time where I wouldn't even go through the drive-thru without putting in my clip in extensions - Its safe to say I had low self-esteem at the time. 

 I was once a makeup addict who could list off every product MAC sold and would spend hundreds of pounds on makeup every month. I did a qualification in makeup artistry with hopes of making it big in the industry. Even though my priorities changed and I rarely apply makeup, I still have those same skills today. Want a sharp contour? I got you. Strong hightlight? Im your girl. False lashes? I could apple them in my sleep. I still have appreciation for makeup, I jus don't like to wear it anymore.

Now I need to stress that I am in no way criticizing anyone who does this on a daily basis. A full face of makeup takes serious skill and patience and it looks so beautiful. I still appreciate the talent it takes to perfectly blend eye shadows, carve out symmetric eyebrows and apply a blinding highlight, its just not my thing anymore.

Things are very different now. I haven't shopped at brands like MAC or Estee Lauder in years and only support cruelty free companies. I only wear minimal makeup on special occasions and I don't even blow dry my hair. Its been a long process, its taken me three years of research, learning and self love for me to fully embrace my natural appearance and now I am so much more confident in my own skin. 

It all started when I learned the truth about animal testing and I vowed from that day on that I wouldn't support any brand that wasn't cruelty free. We are now three years on and I've stayed true to my word. I've recently started looking into natural products since learning more about the ingredients used in beauty products and how they can affect our health. Have you ever read the ingredients list on  back of your makeup and beauty products? Its honestly pretty overwhelming and gross. I plan on going completely green over the next year and letting the inner eco warrior in me free. 

In 2015, a year after going cruelty free, I spent three months working at a summer camp in Michigan. This was definitely a life changing experience in many ways, not just for my self-confidence. One of my favourite things about camp is that not a single person wears makeup. Ever. You spend most of your time covered in a layer of sweat and lake water, you have no time to apply it and no one cares about what you look like. I tried wearing makeup for the first three days and then fully embraced being makeup free and letting my hair do its thing naturally. I also discovered natural skin care during this time and I've never looked back. 

Since my travels I haven't felt the need to wear makeup because i'm used to not wearing it. My skin has never looked better since I stopped covering it up and allowed it to breathe. I still suffer from redness, but no where near as bad as when I used to wear thick layers of foundation. I rarely get breakouts and my overall complexion looks healthier. On special occasions I have  done a full face of makeup, but I can't help feel like I look weird with so much product on my face. Without then risk of sounding conceited - I feel like I look better without it now.

On days where I work I will only wear a layer of mascara on my top lashes, and if I'm feeling fancy I'll add a bit of highlight. I used to religiously blow dry my hair into big bouncy curls, but I haven't used any heat at all in over four months and I much prefer my natural, mermaid waves. I'm not saying I'll never wear makeup or blow-dry my hair on a regular basis again, who knows what the future holds? Right now I am loving using more natural products, having an extra 40 minutes in bed and I am how effortless and minimal my morning routine is. I wash my face, apply a natural moisturiser and deodorant, brush my teeth and I'm ready in 5 minutes. 

I highly recommend to anyone to try going makeup free at least a few days a week, mostly to let your skin breath, but also learn to embrace your natural beauty. I know this is easier said than done, especially if you have insecurities about your appearance - believe me, I've been there. Its not a quick or easy transition, but trust me when I say that within time you'll feel so much more confident in your own skin. Theres something about embracing your flaws and owning your natural beauty thats really empowering. You can start little by little. Maybe wear a BB cream occasionally instead of foundation? Or try only apply brows and mascara a few days a week? Or maybe that just isn't your thing and thats totally okay. 

Whether you go completely natural or rock a full face of makeup, do whatever makes you feel the most confident.









Post a Comment

Instagram

© The Pretty Natural . Design by Fearne.